I first encountered the works of Richard Dadd when I was a student at Joshibi University of Art and Design. I was looking for 19th century European paintings depicting fairies or angels to use as reference for my graduation project. Dadd's name came up relatively quickly.Then, when I saw his “The Fairy Feller's Maser Stroke”, I was completely captivated by that paining. For a time, I became a bit of Dadd nerd. I researched Dadd's vicissitudes life and I also tried to make a copy of part of this picture. And when I visited the UK, I went straight to Tate Gallery (now Tate Britain) to see this paining. I have missed his exhibition at 1974, but I was able to obtain the exhibition catalogue and I also managed to get hold of two other books about Dadd. I created a file compiling records related to my research. Incidentally, Freddie Mercury of the Queen was also captivated by this paining and created a song of the same title. I had forgotten about such things over the long years, but I am happy to be able to see so many of his works at the current exhibition at the Royal Academy. By the way, for my graduation project, I did not use Dadd's painting as a reference, instead, I used the works of German artist Philipp Otto Runge as source material.
If you would like to know more about Richard Dadd and his current exhibition, please visit the websites as below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dadd
https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/
私が初めてリチャード・ダッドの作品に出会ったのは女子美術大学の学生の時です。卒業制作の参考資料として妖精や天使が描かれた19世紀のヨーロッパ絵画を探していました。ダッドの名前は比較的早い段階であがってきました。彼の「御伽の木樵の会心の一撃」を見てその絵にすっかり魅了されてしまいました。 一時期、ダッドのオタク状態で、ダッドの数奇な人生を調べ、この絵の一部を模写してみたりしました。 そして、イギリスを訪れた時は、まずテート・ギャラリー(現在のテート・ブリテン)へこの絵を見にいきました。彼の1974年の展覧会は見逃しましたが展覧会のカタログは手に入れることができ、そしてダッドに関しての他の2冊の本もなんとか手に入れることができました。ちなみに、クイーンのフレディ・マーキュリーもこの絵画に魅了され、同名の曲を制作してます。長い年月を経てそうしたことは忘れてしまっていましたが、ロイヤル・アカデミーで現在開催されている展覧会では数多くの彼の作品を目にすることができて嬉しく思いました。ところで、私の卒業制作ではダッドの作品は参考にはせず、ドイツの画家フィリップ・オットー・ルンゲの作品を参考資料として用いました。
リチャード・ダッドと彼の展覧会に関しては上記サイトをご参照ください。








